Thursday, October 18, 2018

France Oct. 18

Dear Mother & all,
      Just a few words to let
you know how I am getting
along. We leave here tomorrow
th for the boat. By the time
you receive this letter I will
be somewhere on the high seas.
I don't know yet if we go to
La Havre or Marseilles. If you
go to Marseilles we will come
through the Straits of Gibrator. [sic]
   I will receive my discharge
at Camp Attebury Ind.
   When I get in the U.S. I will
try to call you at once. Then
when I get my discharge and
on my way home I will
telegraph Cliff so he can get
it first and let you folks know

what station I will be at. Adrain [sic]
or Toledo and what time. I
figure they will be able to get
the telegram first by living
in town.
   I probably will be home for
Thanksgiving. My unit isn't
comeing so don't keep looking
for the 30th Air Depot Group
on the shipping list. I am in
a replacement pool and in a
casual unit. I should arrive
in the states in the early part
of Nov. Well so long for now.
Hope to see you soon. Let
the rest know. I am just writing
to you now.
                         Love Ralph.


There will be no more letters posted; this is the last one.

However, I will post some follow up information that many of you have asked to know.
This information will be posted on October 21st. There will probably be more than one follow-up post.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Here is what I found about Camp Atterbury:

ww2dbaseCamp Atterbury near Edinburgh, Indiana, United States began construction in Dec 1941. It consisted of over 1,500 buildings for the purpose of military training, convalescence of wounded soldiers, and holding German and Italian prisoners of war. The camp ceased operations in Aug 1946. It was reactivated between 1950 and 1954 for the Korean War. It was reactivated again in 1969 and remained activate at the time of this writing.

Over 275,000 soldiers trained at Camp Atterbury during World War II, including the 83rd Infantry Division; 8th Detachment of Special Troops, ... The Camp also served as an internment camp, housing between 12,000 and 15,000 Italian and German prisoners of war.



No comments:

Post a Comment