Sunday, September 30, 2018

Illesheim Germany Sept. 30, 1945.

Dear Mom & Dad,
        The last day of Sept. and
deep in Germany. The mail
has been bad in catching up to
us. I don't think you had
better write any more letters
to me. I don't know when
I will be leaving, but it will
be sometime between Oct. 5
and the 15. Tell the rest of
the family to stop writing
anymore letters also. It will
be so hard for the mail to
catch up with me. It probably
will follow me home.
    At one time I thought I
wouldn't make it by Christmas.
But now it looks like I
will be spending Thanksgiving
in the U.S with you folks.

   I was awarded the Rhineland
battle star which gave me 5
more points. This puts me
only 38th man on the list
for leaving.
     Mom, I am so excited about
comeing home I hardly know
what to write about anymore.
I will keep writing you folks
so you will know I am ok.
So don't send me anymore
mail at this address, or
any address as my next address
will be my regular home
address.
     Maybe this letter sounds
mixup, but it is a grand feeling.
Let the rest know about stopping
my mail. Goodnight for now.
Hope to see you soon.
                         Love Ralph.

The next letter will be posted on October 6th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • I could not find the Rhineland battle star, but here is some general information about bronze stars and bronze battle stars:

Bronze Star Medal

The Bronze Star Medal is a decoration awarded for heroic or meritorious achievement. This decoration was established on February 4, 1944 by Executive Order 9419 which states under Section B. the following:
"The Bronze Star Medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with the Army of the United States after 6 December 1941, distinguished himself or herself by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight, in connection with military operations against an armed enemy; or while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party."
These provisions clearly state The Bronze Star Medal was designed specifically for those in the armed services not involved in aerial warfare. The Bronze Star was primarily created for the Army engaged in ground combat. In 1944 pressure from the Air Corps resulted in a change which allowed the decoration to also be awarded in recognition of the often heroic deeds of individuals on the ground such as ground crews maintaining fighters and bombers, and airmen performing deeds while not engaged in aerial combat.

Bronze Battle Star

The Bronze Battle Star is an attachment worn in conjunction with another medal, such as the Oak Leaf Cluster is worn with the Air Medal. The Bronze Battle Star is worn on the campaign ribbon (the Eastern Theater Offensive or "ETO" ribbon in the case of 398th vets), and denotes an individuals participation in a specific battle, engagement or offensive. The Bronze Battle Star is often called the following names in military documents and jargon: bronze star, battle star, or campaign star.
It is quite easy to see how these two distinct decorations can be easily mistaken for each other. What the vast majority of 398th vets have are one or more "Bronze Battle Stars", indicating their participation in a given engagement during their tour of duty. For example, my grandfather was awarded 5 Bronze Battle Stars to be worn with his ETO ribbon. He was awarded a Bronze Battle Star for each of the following engagements/battles:
  1. Air Offensive Europe,
  2. The Normandy Invasion,
  3. The Northern France Offensive,
  4. The Ardennes/Battle of the Bulge, and
  5. The Germany Invasion

No comments:

Post a Comment