Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Germany, Sept. 26, 1945.

Dear Mother & Dad,
      Well here I am in Germany.
I was one of the last men to leave
Belgium. When I arrived here
I learned Glen Pyle my buddy
had left yesterday for home. He
was one swell fellow. I hated to
break away from him. I guess that
is what army life does to a fellow.
      Well I suppose you are wondering
where in Germany I am at. The
name of the nearest village is
Illesheim. It is 32 miles
directly west of Nurenburg.
Windsheim Germany, where Harley
said he was at is about 2 miles
from here. This must be the
German airfield he stayed at.
My ride up here was very

interesting. I am sending you
our routing so you can really
know the places I was at.
    Boy, the German people are
a people without a smile. No
one gives even a cheery glance
at you. It is just a cold stare.
    Cologne is a city of rubble.
If you could just picture the city
of Toledo just crumpling down
and all the bridges falling into
the river you can imagine how
this place looks. They brought it
onto themselves.
     I am rather tired tonight so
I think I will hit the bed early.
It was a rough drive, and a lot
of detours for bridges being out.
We are in barracks again. The
first time for almost a year.

   It certainly seems good, not to
be living in tents. I have a room
with two other fellows. We have
a radio and the showers and toilets
are in the same building. It seems
almost to good to be true.
   Well I must close for now. As
the plans stand now, I will be
leaving for home sometime
in November. Hope to see you soon
after that.
                                  Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on Sept. 30th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Here is information about Illesheim and maps of both Illesheim and Windsheim:
The map above gives you an idea of the distance from Ralph's trip between Belgium (near Brussels) and Illesheim (you have to look very carefully).



The Illesheim Military Community is located in Germany in Northern Bavaria, approximately 45 minutes from the historic city of Nuernberg and two hours from Frankfurt, Germany. Storck Barracks occupies about 415 acres just outside of the Village of Illesheim. It is a subcommunity of USAG Ansbach. This installation is approximately 27 miles from Ansbach/Katterbach.




    This map shows both Bad Windsheim and Illesheim.


No comments:

Post a Comment