Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Belgium July 24, 45.

Dear Mother & all,
         Arrived back here in
Belgium today from my furlough
in England and I found beaucoup
letters from all of you folks
at home.
    From most of the letters I
take it, everyone is getting
homesick to see me. Well I
sure wish I could fulfill
you desire to see me, but
it is impossible to say when
I will be there. I suppose
Harley is home now, and you
all were glad to see him. Well
you can surely be about
three times as glad to see
me, because I have been gone
just about three times as long.

I had a grand time on my
furlough. I spent most of it
in London. It seemed wonder-
ful to get back and be able
to speak to everyone and be
understood. I arrived there
just one day after they had
turned the lights on. I never
thought they could light the
city up so bright. I have been
in London so many times when
it was blacken out that it
didn't seem as if the lights
should be on.
    I spent most of this furlough
resting up. I attended stage
plays and movies. I miss these
very much here on the continent.
    We flew over and it really
was a rough trip. Heavy winds

and the plane really rolled
around. I didn't get sick, but about
half of the fellows did. Today
flying back was one of the
smoothest rides I ever had. A
person could tell when he was
moveing until he looked at the
ground. It was a grand day also.
    It rained just once while were
over in England. It has been the
best weather I have seen over
seas. I am sure glad we had
good weather.
   In your letter you mentioned
Morgan Ford being a pall-bearer.
Did he wear his uniform?
I sure would like to see him.
I suppose he can tell you how
beat up Germany looks. I know
Harley can sure tell you some

things that probably will seem
as if they never could be true.
    The mail has been so slow
in getting here. I have been rather
lacks in writing also. Luella gave
me heck for not writing, but I
just can't find much to write about.
   Does it seem like a year since
I told you I made Staff Sgt?
It will be a year tomorrow. It
doesn't seem that long to me.
I guess time just doesn't mean
much anymore. We always remark
about every night. Wonder where
we will be a year from now.
I sure hope I will be home.
Well I must write to the rest tonight.
So I will close for this letter.
                           Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on July 29th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • In researching about the blackout in London and the lights coming back on, I found the following 2 reports. 
Daily Herald journalist Mea Allan wrote those words in 1939 as she witnessed the introduction of universal blackout. From Thurso to Truro, from Hastings to Holyhead, Britain was plunged into darkness at sunset on 1 September, two days before war was declared. Street lights were switched off at the mains, vehicle headlights were masked to show only a crack of light, and stations were lit by candles. The nation endured this enforced darkness until 23 April 1945, 10 days after the liberation of Belsen, when the allied armies were advancing rapidly towards Berlin in a final pincer movement.


July 15, 1945 (Sunday)[edit]


No comments:

Post a Comment