Sunday, July 1, 2018

Belgium July 1, 1945

Dear Mom & Dad,
    Received you letter of June 19
a few days ago. I am glad you
have received my letter telling of
my experiences. Of course I can
go into detail much more
when I am able to see you
inperson.
     Well after finding out where
Harley was at I receive a letter
this week saying he had
moved to Bamberg Germany. The
way his letter stated it didn't
sound like he would be there
long. I really don't know where
he will be at anymore. It
took his letter 20 days to
reach me.
     Yes, the picture I sent you

of myself was taken when
it was cold. It was below zero
when it was taken. After the
plane left us it was sent to the
bomb group. It was on its
first mission after being repaired
by us. It went down or was
just shot to piece in the air
over the target. Many of the ships
I know about have gone through
a lot.
     Well this year of 1945 is
half gone already. It really don't
seem possible. Time really does
go by fast over here. To fast. I
am getting to darn old.
     I must write to Audrey soon.
It seems as if I never can
find anything to write about
anymore. I have told you

about my travels and what
I have been doing. I guess it is
just routine business all the time.
     Gosh I won't know the neighbor
hood when I get home. You folks
have remodeled the house. All the
buildings have been painted and
a new building put up. Now
Fred's painting his buildings.
Sliker will probably have his
tenant house torn down. It
will seem strange to get home
again, but it will be grand.
     You asked me if I could under
stand the Belgium language. They
speak French around here. I do
hear a little Flemish spoken. But
with what phrases I know I
get along ok. Lots of English is
spoken in Brussels anyway.

   Everyone's letters seem to come
in a group lately. The other day
I received four in one day, and
then a week goes by before I
get anymore.
    Well mother, about that phone
call from New York. I doubt very
much if you get it this year. They
really have a bunch of men over
here to get rid of. When you can
drive through camps for twenty
miles and just see tent and
men it takes a lot of time to
move all of them and there equipment.
I doubt very much if I will go
to the Pacific though.
I can't think of anymore for now.
Goodnight.
                        Love Ralph.

The next letter will be posted on July 8th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Fred (King) was a neighbor across the road from the Brown homestead. The Sliker family had a house at the corner of Silberhorn Highway and Yankee Road when I was growing up. However, I think the house at this location was built years after the war. As far as I know, all 3 houses are still standing.
  • The distance between Bamberg,Germany and Brussels, Belgium is about 600 km (373 miles) by road.

No comments:

Post a Comment