Monday, June 13, 2016

June 13, 1943

Dear Mother,
          Here I am again in Austin this
weekend. I presume this is our last
free weekend for sometime. They let
the whole outfit off at noon yesterday.
We all have been working night and
day getting ready to pull out. This
week should see us on a train
somewhere. If all the orders go through
as they are now we will be out of
Texas soon after your receive this
letter. Although orders can be changed
we might not leave as soon as
I expect. Keep writing to this address
until you are notified different.
          I don't know where our port of ^(P.O.E.)
embarkation will be or if I am able
to write from there. If I can write from
there I will.
          In one of Irene's letters she said
Lenore had invited her to come over
to her dinner in July when all of you get
together. Irene said she would rather
not go because she gets so lonesome
for me and misses me more like
that. But I am trying to get her to go.

She told me not to mention it to
you, but I think you will understand
why she doesn't want to come. I know
I would feel out of place around her
folks without her around.
          Last Sunday so people took us
all around the University Campus here
and we really saw a good share
of the town. The state capitol here is
almost like the one in Michigan.
The town and residential part of it
is a lot better than San Antonio.
They have high towers here with
blue lights on them all over the
town. It gives it a moon light
effect and really is nice at night.
Last night we stayed in a private
home. The woman use to keep college
boys but now most of them are in
the army. I think there were twenty
five stayed at the same house last
night. The U.S.O sent us out there
to stay. They sure are doing a lot
for the boys while away from home.
I am at one of the clubs now writing this
letter. It really helps a fellow around.
If Freeman ever goes into the army tell
him to look up a U.S.O. and they will

always have some entertainment
lined up. It is a grand organization.
          Well I think this will be all for
now. Please write soon and tell me
all the news. I hope they are able
to farm now at home. The corn here
is all tasseled and eared out already.
It seems almost natural again to me
now to write June. It is just like our
weather at home now. I must be getting
use to it.
          Goodbye for now. I hope I will be
able to tell you where we are going.
                            Love Ralph.

The next letter will be posted on June 17th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Freeman was Ralph's youngest brother. He was born on June 10, 1925, which meant that he had just turned 18 years old 3 days before this letter was written.
  • Here are internet photos of the capitol building in Austin (top) and Lansing (bottom):


No comments:

Post a Comment