Thursday, March 8, 2018

France. Mar. 8, 45

Dear Mother & all,
      I think I will drop you
a few lines in the middle of
the week this time. Last night
after I arrived back here to
camp from a trip I took I
found a letter of yours of Feb. 28.
One week is all it took in
comeing through. I think that
is very good.
     I had a chance to take a
trip so I went with one of
my buddies. I was in Reims
France. This is a very nice
city and it isn't damaged very
much. France can be proud
that her large cities aren't
wrecked. I guess they don't care
about the damage in Germany.

     Do you think Morgan Ford came
to this threate [sic] of operations? From the
sound of his address it does.
     I had a letter from Harley a sshort
while ago. I must write to him
tonight also. I guess the war
news sounds good to you folks
back home. I know it odes to
us fellows over here.
     I met with a little accident
this morning. While at work and
in the shop I banged my head
against a prop blade and cut
my nose open, right between
my eyes. It probably will leave
a scar just above the one I
received some time ago. I will
tell you about it when I am
home.
      I guess you folks did have

excitement around home Sunday.
I hope they are all better by now.
I see by the papers I received
today about the fire. Did our
men folks go to it?
     Has Freeman found out anymore
about his deferrement? I guess they
will have to keep a few farm
boys out or there won't be any
farming done.
     You were speaking of being able
to get a few bannas [sic] now. Gosh
I sure wish I knew where I could
get a few. It has been over two
years since I have tasted of one.
We have had a few oranges
to eat lately, and tonight we
had an apple apiece. They were
very good. After all I guess we
are getting what they are able to
send over here.

    I guess this is about all I
can think of for now. I guess
I have written quite a bit for
being in the middle of the week.
       The news just gave out about
the Yanks crossing the Rhine.
Maybe this war will son be
over.  Goodnight for now.
                                  Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on March 18th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Here is what I found about the Yanks crossing the Rhine from an article in Yank magazine (1945). For the complete article and photos, here is the site I used: 
  • http://www.oldmagazinearticles.com/article-summary/WW2_first_Americans_to_cross_Rhine-river_Ludendorf_Bridge_27th_Armored__Division#.WqFBYSjwaUk
    • "On March 7 the U.S. Army Ninth Armored Division rumbled into the Rhine village of Remagen for what it thought would be the climax of its seven-day drive across 40 miles of German territory. The tankmen and armored infantrymen expected to reach the banks of the Rhine and stop for a rest while the Allied high command completed plans for the crossing of that last barrier to the heart of Germany.
    • The bridges spanning the Rhine at Cologne, Bonn, Coblenz had been blown by the retreating Germans.When the Ninth Armored reached Remagen it naturally looked for the blasted remains of Ludendorf bridge. Instead the three-span structure was still standing. The German engineers assigned to destroy it had apparently delayed their work too long.



Reims
Subprefecture and commune
City hall (hôtel de ville)
City hall (hôtel de ville)
Coat of arms of Reims
Coat of arms
Reims is located in France
Reims
Reims
[show]
Location within Grand Est region
Coordinates: 49°15′46″N 4°02′05″ECoordinates49°15′46″N 4°02′05″E
CountryFrance
RegionGrand Est
DepartmentMarne
ArrondissementReims
CantonReims-12345678and 9
IntercommunalityCU Grand Reims
Government
 • Mayor (2014–2019)Arnaud Robinet (LR)
Area146.9 km2 (18.1 sq mi)
Population (2014)2186,971
 • Density4,000/km2 (10,000/sq mi)
Time zoneCET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST)CEST (UTC+2)
INSEE/Postal code51454 /51100
Elevation80–135 m (262–443 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.
2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
  • Reims (/rmz/; also spelled RheimsFrench: [ʁɛ̃s]), a city in the Grand Est region of France, lies 129 km (80 mi) east-northeast of Paris. 

No comments:

Post a Comment